In October 2018 Snowy Mountains Innovation Network (SMIN) gathered together 23 Snowy Monaro thought leaders to discuss and agree the challenges faced by the region, that, if addressed with new companies, products and services, will improve livability (including economic diversity and community growth). The most important challenges were agreed to be:
- Accommodation capacity and utilisation (year round)
- Skills shortages for current businesses
- Year-round tourism products and resident services
- Brand agreement and ownership
SMIN will now use these challenges as input for:
- Bringing the community together to create new products, services and companies to be built in our region
- Progressing partner recruitment, funding and premises for creation of the first SMIN hub
- Objective for the event – Uncover the biggest challenges for our region, that, if addressed with new companies, products and services, will improve livability (including economic diversity and community growth).
- Actions from the event: a. Include identified challenges in federal funding application for SMIN b. Engage with partners to contribute to funding application c. Deliver ideation event, for teams and individuals to create and prototype solutions that address the challenges
The 2019 Summer Series is organised to help develop ideas from budding local entrepreneurs and develop those ideas into businesses.